Dr. Szatmari's investigative interests fall broadly into areas of psychiatric and genetic epidemiology, specifically: 1) preschool children with autism and other forms of pervasive developmental disorders (development of these children and factors associated with good outcome); 2) genetic etiology of autism (studying families with two autistic children and doing a linkage study to map susceptibility genes). Another area of interest is the developmental course of adolescent psychopathology and high risk behaviours, including substance abuse, with the particular area of concern being to address measurement issues and sampling by family unit rather than by individuals.goes here.
- Szatmari P, Reitzel J-A. Autism intervention: comments on Harris and Bruinsma, Koegel and Kern Koegel. In Encylopedia on Early Childhood Development. Centre of Excellence for Early Childhood Development. 2004
- Brian JA, Landry R, Szatmari P, Bryson SE. Habituation in high-risk infants: reliability and patterns of responding. Infant and Child Development, 12:387-394, 2003.
- Szatmari P, Zwaigenbaum L and Bryson S. Conducting Genetic Epidemiology Studies of Autism Spectrum Disorders: Issues in matching. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 34(1):49-57, 2004.
- Walker DR, Thompson A, Zwaigenbaum L, Goldberg J, Bryson SE, Mahoney WJ, Strawbridge CP, Szatmari P. Specifying PDD-NOS: A comparison of PDD-NOS, Asperger Syndrome and Autism. Journal of American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 43:2, 172-80, 2004.
- Xu J, Zwaigenbaum L, Szatmari P, Scherer S. Molecular Cytogenetics of Autism. Current Genomics, 5:347-364, 2004.
- Jones MB , Palmour R, Zwaigenbaum L and Szatmari P. Modifier effects in autism at the DBH and MAO-A loci. American Journal of Medical Genetics (Neuropsychiatric Genetics), 126B, 58-65, 2004.
- Szatmari P, Bryson SE, Boyle MH and Duku E. Predictors of outcome among high functioning children with autism and Asperger Syndrome. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 44(4):520-528, 2003.
- Starr E, Szatmari P, Bryson S and Zwaigenbaum L. Stability and change among high functioning children with pervasive developmental disorders: A two-year outcome study . Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 33:15-22, 2003.
- Szatmari P. The causes of autism spectrum disorders (ASD). British Journal of Psychiatry, 326:173-174, 2003.
- Nicholson R and Szatmari P. Genetic and neurodevelopmental influences in autistic disorder. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 48(8):27-38, 2003.