Dr. Magdalena Janus is an Associate Professor at the McMaster University’s Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Neurosciences where she holds the Ontario Chair in Early Child Development. Since joining the Offord Centre for Child Studies at McMaster in 1997, Magdalena, together with the late Dr. Dan Offord, developed the Early Development Instrument (EDI), a measure of children's readiness to learn at school entry. This initiative has generated interest at national and international levels, from academic and social policy perspectives. Magdalena and her team support the implementation of the EDI in Canada, and its adaptation in many international sites. Magdalena's research interests also include the transition to school, with a particular emphasis on children with special needs, and communities' engagement in children's early development and health. Magdalena has an associate appointment in the Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, and is on faculty in the Graduate program in Health Research Methodology. She is an active educator, being directly involved in teaching, supervising, or tutoring students, as well as in development of new curricula, with special relevance to early child development.
- Janus, M., Brinkman, S., Duku, E., Dunkelberg, E., Marino, E., & Chianca, T. Socioemotional development and its correlates among 5-year-old children in Peru and Brazil. (2014) Journal of Latino and Latin-American Studies, 6(1), 40-53.
- Duku, E. Janus, M. & Brinkman, S. (2014). Investigation of the cross-national equivalence of a measurement of early child development. Child Indicators Research (DOI 10.1007/s12187-014-9249-3).
- Janus, M., Hopkins, S. (2012) Constructing measures of northern children’s identity through dialogue. Pimatisiwin: A Journal of Aboriginal and Indigenous Community Health, 10 (2), 249-256
- Janus, M. (2011) Impact of impairment on children with special needs at school entry: Comparison of school readiness outcomes in Canada, Australia, and Mexico. Exceptionality Education International, 21 (2), 29-44.
- Janus, M., Brinkman, S., & Duku, E. (2011) Validity and psychometric properties of Early Development Instrument in Canada, Australia, United States, and Jamaica. Social Indicators Research, 103(2), 283-297.